Aromantic Asexuals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aromantic Asexuals

A community for aromantic asexuals to connect and discuss, in whatever depth, aromanticism.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Disturbing Depictions of Romance

Go down 
+2
Almagest
Verp
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Verp

Verp

Disturbing Depictions of Romance Empty
PostSubject: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 3:20 pm

This thread is dedicated to discussion related to depictions and descriptions of romance that we find irritating or worthy of our hate. Whether it's a film, a comic, someone's blog post, whatever; share your discoveries!

I'll start with Bambi. Y'know, I've always disliked Disney's Bambi a lot, even when I was a kid. There are some... Scenes... That I find rather disturbing, something about them just has rubbed me the wrong way ever since I first saw them. And I'm not even talking about how Bambi's mother was shot, oh no. I never had any qualms with that. I'm talking about the lovely phenomenon known as being twitterpated.

And then, when Bambi and friends go like "Wait, what? That's just stupid, you feathered hobo!" like any sensible woodland creature would, this happens:

So yeah, look out, there are predators after you and they're going to get you no matter where you are or what you think about being twitterpated. It will happen to you! And you will forget about your friends, anything you thought to be important, everything! That annoying, giggling, hyperactive menace (Faline) you knew as a kid? You're going to tap that ass and you're going to like it!

... Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Almagest

Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm

One word: Twilight
Back to top Go down
Verp

Verp

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 am

Almagest wrote:

I haven't read it, but I have read and seen such outrageously hilarious parodies of it that you must be right.
Back to top Go down
Almagest

Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 am

Verp wrote:
Almagest wrote:

I haven't read it, but I have read and seen such outrageously hilarious parodies of it that you must be right.

GOOD! Save your brain cells. Razz
Back to top Go down
Aiko

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 am

I don't understand that stuff, I see it in movies and I just forget about it. Part of the story no big deal. Stuff like that never looked real to me as it never 'found' me I guess.

I fell asleep during Twilight.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 am

Disney and a number of children media have a way of simlifying it to the extreme that it no longer makes any sense. Actually anywhere where two characters meet and fall in love instantly is rather disturbing. It makes the entire situation so unrealistic.
This happened when I was reading True Blood. The story basically went [Meeting] [Falling in love] [Plot] [Ending] whereas a decent romantic story should have (only Pride and Prejudice is a romantic relationship I can understand) [Meeting] [Plot] [Falling in love] [Ending] or at least the confession happens after they've done things together, gone through the adventure, etc. Which is why I like Pride and Prejudice, I find it very realistic and the relationship doesn't feel wholly romantic by itself- it seems like an incredibly strong friendship. Perhaps that is what romance is. I will never be quite sure.
It's a relationship I understand. They 'hate' each other because of each other not have fights because 'I care about you so much'. Nowhere is it explained in True Blood why they actually like each other. I can list why I like my friends, what is good about them, what is bad, but they cannot do that. Neither can the Bambi characters and if the audience doesn't understand why two characters like each other then the writer hasn't worked it out properly. Television shows have more time to explore characters so when two characters get together at the end of a show you don't go 'well these two haven't interacted enough to like each other' which is what has happened in that Bambi clip and in a lot of romantic shows. Not all, but enough.
Back to top Go down
https://aromantics.forumotion.com
Verp

Verp

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Sometimes, a romantic subplot can be very annoying just by existing, even if it's rather well executed... Like, in the film Ondskan (Evil, 2003), the romance of the film wasn't particularly bad or anything, but it still felt stupid. It was a pretty modest and ordinary depiction of a fling between two youngsters, but it felt so unnecessary and I think it made the main character seem a bit more like a self-insert character for the makers of the film. The character was already dangerously close to being one, being so mainstream attractive, unfettered, and conveniently accomplishing so much with so little motivation, but getting the undivided attention of the only mainstream attractive young female present in the entire film was the straw that broke the camel's back and pushed the character into author avatar territory.
Back to top Go down
Isaac

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:25 am

The worst thing is when they add a romantic subplot in a movie adaptation of a book which was successful without such a romantic plot. Why do they add this subplot if the book was successful without it?
Back to top Go down
http://heterogen.wordpress.com/
Verp

Verp

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:43 am

Isaac wrote:
The worst thing is when they add a romantic subplot in a movie adaptation of a book which was successful without such a romantic plot. Why do they add this subplot if the book was successful without it?

I've actually argued about this with my romantic friends and acquaintances and they actually took offense when I questioned it. The more I dug into this and questioned the reasons they came up with to include romantic subplots, the more offended they became and in the end, the only fully comprehensible reason they stuck with was "People want romance so it sells and you can't do anything about it so HA".

Heck, explosions and bare titties seem to sell pretty well, but you still don't see them in every single film out there, do you? You'd be pretty miffed about seeing them in a lot more films than you already see them in, right? And my friends themselves admitted that they don't really care that much about the romantic subplot anyway because it's so cheesy and you know exactly what's going to happen: the protagonist gets the love interest.

I just don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 6:48 pm

It is very frustrating when it's in most stories. I can think of a few where romance doesn't spring up but in those I believe they lack a person of the opposite sex and nothing in it is homosexual. 12 Angry Men is probably the best example. About twelve jurors in a room - just lots of plot.

I rewatched Pocahontas recently and the romantic plot in that is very out of nowhere too. Personally I think it would have been better/made better sense had John and Pocahontas been simply friends. Experiencing a new world you would make new friends and her saving him because they're new friends makes more sense than them being in love. Then having a smooch because they're both caught up in this estactic experience would also make sense but I probably was thinking too much whilst watching the film.
Back to top Go down
https://aromantics.forumotion.com
Gloom

Gloom

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Verp wrote:
I'll start with Bambi. Y'know, I've always disliked Disney's Bambi a lot, even when I was a kid. There are some... Scenes... That I find rather disturbing, something about them just has rubbed me the wrong way ever since I first saw them. And I'm not even talking about how Bambi's mother was shot, oh no. I never had any qualms with that. I'm talking about the lovely phenomenon known as being twitterpated.

Wow, that owl just terrified me. "Yes, it could even happen to you." It was like it was staring into my soul and threatening me with my worst fear. Shocked
</slight exaggeration>

Isaac wrote:

Arg. I know. Jules Verne, one of my favorite authors, almost never even had a female character in any of his books (thereby omitting romance in the way it would have been depicted in his era), and they were great books. Look at the movie adaptations. Female love interests have been added in almost every one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disturbing Depictions of Romance   Disturbing Depictions of Romance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disturbing Depictions of Romance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aromantic Asexuals :: Community :: Aromantic Discussions-
Jump to: